Soft, Hard and Master Reset (SYNC 3)
There are many ways to "Reset" a SYNC 3 module for the purposes of troubleshooting and normal operation. It is not uncommon to need to perform one or more resets to "clear things up" over the life of a SYNC 3 system. These modules are "Always On" and only reset when the vehicle battery is disconnected or a reset command is issued. Just like your computer a home or your cell phone, a reset can clear up a myriad of issues.
Types of Reset:
- Soft Reset - Resets the module with no loss of settings or data - provides a graceful shutdown and restart.
- Hard Reset - Resets the module with no loss of settings or data - provides an abrupt shutdown and restart.
- Master Reset - Resets the module back to factory defaults. All personal data and settings are lost. This will require bluetooth pairings, saved addresses and repairing with FordPass (if equipped).
To perform a Soft Reset:
- Press and hold the Seek Up (>>|) button while pressing and holding the Radio Power button.
- After approximately 5 seconds the screen will go black, release the buttons.
- Allow some time for the system reset to complete.
To perform a Hard Reset:
- With the ignition OFF, disconnect the power to the SYNC module buy either disconnecting the vehicle battery or the large 54 pin connector at the back of the module.
- Reconnect the power after 30 seconds.
- Turn the ignition on and wait for the system to boot.
To perform a Master Reset:
- Press Settings in the Feature bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Press the General icon (you may have to swipe to the next screen).
- Press the Scroll bar or swipe vertically until you see Master Reset. Press Master Reset.
- A message confirming that all system settings will be erased and reset to factory defaults will appear. Press Continue.
- A “Resetting to factory defaults” message will appear, the system will turn off and the screen will go blank. It may take a few minutes for the system to reset and resume normal operation.